The most common complaint I hear consistently from EVERY entrepreneur mostly in Ghana is with their employees. The quality and quantity of work you can expect from them, and the level of productivity that comes with it. I usually hire to fill a particular role or job responsibility that I believe is a gap in my organization. That means there really isn't much room to sit around and do nothing, but somehow people find a way to do nothing, which amazes me. People are given job descriptions and the necessary tools of the trade, orientation about the company, their role, and how it fits in with other areas of business. Then allowed to sink or swim.
Over the years I've come to identify different types of people and personalities or let me call it what it is...EXCUSES employees give in Ghana. I usually hire people in their 20's so keep that in mind when reading this.
Employee Personality/Excuses List 2021...
1. The Perfect Employee... Takes time to understand their job responsibilities, shows up on time, gets their work done, help others with theirs, takes initiative, has great ideas for ways to improve processes and systems and everybody loves them... That's YOU... the Entrepreneur...duh... it's your business what do you expect? Sorry, most of your people don't love you
2. I was just about to call you...The Pleaser - Pretends to be working when you're around. Engages everyone, talks a lot, knows everything going on about everyone except their own work. Has new ideas everyday but reluctant to follow systems or processes.
3. I'm reading about it - Always reading about something and you're still waiting for them to apply it. It's been 2 years now. They usually stay in their corner and won't speak until spoken to. They will do exactly what you asked for and very well, but nothing more.
4. I'm working on it - Yes, whatever report you asked for, they are still working on it. When they will finish or if ever, we are still waiting. Usually, they don't understand the work but won't ask. They need specific tasks and deadlines or they'll never finish.
5. You didn't tell me - "You didn't tell me what to do, so why are you complaining I didn't do it?" Just tell them what to do everyday, and everytime you need it, it'll get done.
6. I can't work with other people, they slow me down. Really? Yes...Ms. Independent, very effective when given independent tasks but can't understand team dynamics.
7. Nobody taught me...constantly blaming training and coaching. Will not read any manuals, take notes at meetings, or ask any questions, want to be told what to do and how to do it everyday.
8. I have a family emergency...Every month something happens in their house. I'm praying for you.
Update, I almost forget these 2
9. I'm Sorry... Always sorry about something or nothing, with no plans of learning from their mistakes. I'm sorry is officially banned in my company. Correct your mistakes, don't keep apologising for them.
10. Yes Please... to everything you say, but didn't hear a word you said, don't understand it, wont do it and when you complain...I'm sorry
I'm at the point now where I just laugh when I hear the excuses. I love my employees, they make it all worth it. Which personalities do you have in your company?
Disclaimer... this is not an absorptive list, or attack on any person, just my observation, you can add yours.